Orkney Image Library

<< back
No4 Barrier
The Orkney Image Library

Help us get organised! If we haven't correctly identified which area this picture is best listed under, please select it below and click Done!

view a random pic
No4 Barrier

A black and white postcard of No4 barrier. A lot of change here during the last 60 years. Perhaps some one could post a photo of the barrier as it is today to see the beach that has formed and how little of the blockships are still visible.
Large Version View Large Version
Picture added on 12 April 2007
Comments:
Beat you to it here, Kirkwallian. See:
Click to View
Click to View
Click to View
Click to View
Click to View
Click to View and
Click to View
Added by Steven Heddle on 12 April 2007
Great stuff Steven......... the last one picture #1649 shows the change just perfectly, thanks
Added by Kirkwallian on 12 April 2007
The blockship lying to the south (off Cara) is the SS Collingdoc (1780 grt). Built by Furness Shipbuilding in 1925 as the 'D B Hanna' she operated the Canadian Great Lakes (hence the 'doc' - Dominion of Canada - suffix) until she was requisitioned by the British Government to aid the war effort.
On 13 July 1941 she was sunk by a mine off Southend, Essex (killing two crew) whereafter she was refloated and towed to Rosyth. In March 1942 the Collingdoc was scuttled as a blockship in Water Sound.
Added by David Dawson on 12 April 2007
<< back

Other South Isle

Mystery yachtRelics from the building of the BarriersK√ĄTHE NIEDERKIRCHNER, sunk at Muckle SkerryBefore the barriersIsle of Cava sale detailsMystery thingChicken House, CavaRoseabelle YorstonRoseabelle YorstonSt George and the dragon