Orkney Image Library

<< back
Rolls outside Lynnfield
The Orkney Image Library

Help us get organised! If we haven't correctly identified which area this picture is best listed under, please select it below and click Done!

view a random pic
Rolls outside Lynnfield

A Rolls Royce outside the Lynnfield Hotel, picture TK495 from the Tom Kent Collection, as referenced in picture #24771

[Date estimated]
Large Version View Large Version
Picture added on 18 February 2011 at 19:02
The registration records in the Orkney Archives reveal that this blue Rolls-Royce 20hp was supplied new in March 1926 by Rossleigh Ltd of Edinburgh to Mrs Jeannie Lawrie of Hobbister House. She was a sister of Walter Grant of the Highland Park, and of Mrs Louisa Haydon of Lynnfield House (whose husband was also a partner in the distillery). For most of the 1930s the car was only licensed in the summer, and was not licensed at all during the Second World War. In 1945 however it was sold to J. Macarthur & Co, Motor Hirers, Edinburgh, who painted it black and used it as a hackney vehicle until 1954. It then went through three private owners in quick succession. The last record is of its being relicensed in Edinburgh in December 1955. Whatever became of it, it is not now on the DVLA computer. The registration number, BS141, was originally allocated to a Ford Model T two-seater tourer in 1912, but it was scrapped in Sheffield in 1925. Curiously, the Ford's registration file is annotated "This number has been given to Mrs Helen Lees Low." She was another sister of Walter Grant, and the widow of John Lees Low, solicitor. The photo archive has another good picture of the Rolls standing in Harbour Street.
Added by Paul Sutherland on 06 April 2015
<< back


Walls of Kirkwall Castle?Kirkwall basin before the Kirkwall Hotel was builtD Block former Papdale Halls of ResidenceEast side of Kirkwall from CathedralWest Kirkwall from CathedralPower Station and Peedie SeaComing into Kirkwall Harbour 1960St Magnus 1960 Kirkwall Pierhead 1960 with Cathedral SpireKirkwall Harbour 1960