Orkney Image Library

<< back
Old Dounby Church
The Orkney Image Library

Help us get organised! If we haven't correctly identified which area this picture is best listed under, please select it below and click Done!

view a random pic
Old Dounby Church

The ruins of what was the original Dounby Church. It is situated in the triangle of ground between the Vetquoy Road and the Swartland Road accessible from the track starting at the Decca Station going through to almost Swartland. This Church was used in the late 1800's and early 1900's

Large Version View Large Version
Picture added on 13 May 2007
Comments:
Was this the Sandwick Independent or Congregational Church, which shared a minister with the Harray Congregationalists? If so, it was built about 1824. According to Goodfellow's "Birsay Church History", the wood for it was taken on a raft from Stromness to the Stenness Loch by the Kirkwall Congregational Minister and two other men, a journey which took them all night.
Added by Paul Sutherland on 16 May 2007
According to the 1881 & 1903 old maps of the area this building was described on them as the 'Congregational Chapel' so Paul's information is correct. Sandwick had St Peters Church at the Bay of Skaill & also the Quoyloo Church.
Added by Edwin Rendall on 20 May 2007
<< back

Dounby

Royal visit in the 50s or 60sMystery yachtDerelict cottage on FlottaKGS Primary 3 - 1954Corinthian departing StromnessRoseabelle YorstonBarbara Wards (Meason) & Lizzie TullochATC in Birsay, Dounby Harray area?Mystery football teamWR Tullock