Orkney Image Library

<< back
Whitehall Village, Stronsay
The Orkney Image Library

Help us get organised! If we haven't correctly identified which area this picture is best listed under, please select it below and click Done!

view a random pic
Whitehall Village, Stronsay

A postcard, date estimated. Has the village in Stronsay always been called Whitehall, or was it renamed by the laird like Balfour is Shapinsay?
Picture added on 26 June 2006
Comments:
The village was called Strenzie or Strynie, but in 1667, Patrick Fea of Clestran, Stronsay, married Barbara Traill of Holland, Papa Westray, and in 1671, built a house for his family at the east end of the village, and called it Whitehall. And so it began !
Added by Bill Miller on 01 March 2009
<< back

Stronsay

Barrier number threeFinstown from WidefordOpposite the Police Station, LonghopeQueen Street, StromnessLizzie Ann Thomson Smith (nee Wilson)Annie Shearer Grayson, StronsayMystery personAnnie Shearer Grayson, StronsayMystery ladiesMystery workers