Orkney Image Library

<< back
Wellpark Gardens
The Orkney Image Library

Help us get organised! If we haven't correctly identified which area this picture is best listed under, please select it below and click Done!

view a random pic
Wellpark Gardens

This is a view of Wellpark Gardens owned and worked by the Leitch family. Flowers, fruit and vegetables were grown there and sold in their shop G Leitch & sons at 5 Bridge Street (where the Dil Se indian resturant is now). The shop closed in the early 1970s. This was back in the days when Orkney was more self sufficient and before fruit and veg were transported hundreds of miles to be sold in supermarkets. Bet it tasted much better too.
Large Version View Large Version
Picture added on 05 May 2009
Comments:
This is not 1930 as captioned.The Mk11 Consul BS5664 at the right hand side was first registered on 11th May 1959 ( 50 years ago yesterday)and belonged to Mr. A Mackay of Gt Western Road, Kirkwall.
Added by David Tullock on 12 May 2009
To the right of this picture is where Waltie Scott kept his lorries. He also had a stable there for a horse.
Added by M. Gibson on 16 May 2009
<< back

Kirkwall

Hostel garages demolitionRoyal visit in the 50s or 60sRoyal visit in the 50s or 60sRoyal visit in the 50s or 60sRoyal visit in the 50s or 60sRoyal visit in the 50s or 60sRoyal visit in the 80sRoyal visit in the 80sRoyal visit in the 80sRoyal visit in the 80s